Aquarium automation

  • Subject: Aquarium automation
  • From: "John Nye" <john@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 20:55:36 +0100

After a gap of a few years we have just bought an aquarium for
tropical fish
as SWMBO had this great idea that we could take out an internal window
between the hall and kitchen and replace it with a tank!

Have had a look through the archives so I know there are a few on the list
with aquariums but was wondering what level of automation others had now
managed to achieve?

At the moment looking at the normal things:

- lights on and off at preset times (probably looking at x10 but it can be
bit iffy round my place but seems better when controlled by HV)
- auto feeder (have ordered a 'fishmate')
- temperature monitoring (no idea how to do this, but will have 2 heaters
so
if one packs up there is still a chance that the fish will survive)
- water quality, I guess this could be a bit ambitious?
- water changes: I suppose it will have to be the tube and bucket.

John