From: Phil Harris<mailto:phil@xxxxxxx>=20
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx<mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx>=20
Sent: 29 April 2006 18:40
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] C-Bus / Cat5e

>=20
> To be honest what would a building inspector know about CAT5=20
> let alone C-BUS?
>=20
> Tracey

No - you're absolutely correct...

...save yourself 40 quid on a box of cable - maybe 80 if you're doing a b=
ig
domestic install and need two boxes. The likelyhood is that - as you say =
-
anyone that inspects the install won't know the difference and that =A380
saving is going to buy you a load more kit.

Of course if it does get picked up on and you get asked to start showing
evidence that you haven't routed your nice moneysaving CAT5e in with main=
cabling (even if you haven't) and you end up pulling up flooring and parh=
aps
even taking out plasterwork then you can comfort yourself that you did sa=
ve
a few quid.

What happens a few years down the line when you come to sell your propert=
and the buyers surveyor comes and has a look round. Just by chance he
happens to ask about the mixture of cabling in the C-Bus board because,
being a few years down the line and houses requiring much more certificat=
ion
to sell, he's more canny than he is now - what do you do.

At the end of the day it's there for a reason - I don't really care if yo=
use it or not as it's unlikely I'll ever see any of your installs as my w=
ork
tends to be commercial or very large scale domestic but if I end up worki=
ng
on any installs that I'm in any way uncertain of (i.e. have mains cable a=
nd
innappropriate data cabling in the same channels or distribution boards
without appropriate physical segregation) then I'm supposed to voice any
concerns to whoever is in charge of the project and leave well alone.

Phil

=20=20=20