Re: [OT] recomended DNS services?

You /can/ use Dyndns with dynamic updates - but you can also create
static dns entries that you change manually.

If you already have the domain name registered - you are looking at what
DynDNS call a 'Custom DNS' service.

I've just checked on the control panel you get for this, to which you
can change the following record types.
AAAA
MX
PTR
SRV
LOC
TXT
CNAME
NS

You also have the option to have an 'off-line' flag set and a forwarding
URL that (apparently) redirects if you state that your off-line.

I'm sure that there are other service providers that do this, but I've
been using DynDNS for 5 years (ish) so far and never had *any* outages
with DNS which has been down to their system (maybe a few cock-ups on my
part - but nothing down to them :-) ).

Have Fun!
Wayne.

Paul Gale wrote:
> Is this designed for dynamic IP's? I have fixed IP's and mainly want
to use it for my hosted web accounts (www and FTP etc). The reason for this
rather than using the host DNS service is I want full control of additional
A records to point subdomains etc to my home servers.

> The big problem I guess is if my various hosts change IP's of any of
their boxes with little or no notice (as has already happened).