Latest message you have seen: RE: Re: New Build

RE: J-box installation help

  • Subject: RE: J-box installation help
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 15:43:08 +0100

> I would normally use bonding plaster to securely fit the backbox
in the
> wall, but if I do that in this case, the fitting won't be able to
screw in
> to the mounting lugs as they would have solid plaster behind them.
>
> Any ideas?

How about a longer screw of the right thread for the fittings screwed into
the box.

Put some sleeving over the screw thread to stop the plaster getting onto
the
thread.

Mount the box into the wall.

Once the plaster is set you can remove the screw and there will be a clean
hole for the faceplate fixing screw.

I used a method similar to this when I wanted to mount some plugboards onto
a rack panel. I fixed captive nuts into the keyhole slots on the rear of
the
plugboard by holding them in place with some sleeving whilst I pumped hot
melt glue into the slots. Once set, the screw could be removed and then the
plugboard was fixed to the panel.

http://www.diyha.co.uk/temp/plugboard_rear.jpg
http://www.diyha.co.uk/temp/plugboard_fixings.jpg
http://www.diyha.co.uk/temp/mounted_plugboard.jpg