Latest message you have seen: RE: Recommendations for noise cancelling headphones...

(OT) Linux boot question and disks

  • Subject: (OT) Linux boot question and disks
  • From: Robin Edwards <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 19:41:11 +0100

Folks, I'm going to move my HA/music server to a new PC, currently I
have two hard drives hda and hdc.  My server runs Suse 10.0 from hdc3
but boots from hda (so I interpret this to mean that grub boots via the
mbr on hda, which hopefully makes sense.  I want to ditch my hda and
just use the disk currently which is hdc.

So, I'm trying to fathom out how to do this, such that I dont lose a
whole load of stuff (and get into trouble with SWMBO) or take days to do
it it which case I'll have the same problem. When I went from Mandrake
to Suse it took best part of a week before my lan, printing, music
sharing, e-mail etc etc etc were all up and running (and the user were
getting aggressive 2xteenagers + SHMBO). Anybody out there who can give
me a few pointers please?

Looks like I need to change boot to point to my hdc3 (although in YAST
it mentions a seperate boot partition as well.  I've currently got a 1GB
swap on hdc that I could split to have the boot stuff on and swap if
that would work.  YAST suggests putting the boot stuff in the /
partition but also warns about re-orgs causing it to fail.

Any pointers from a Linux person out there would be really useful.

regards, robin