Re: XPL - XAP

Hi Ian,

On 4/12/06, Ian Lowe <ianlowe@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hmm. I don't think we have the Idratek xml fragment linked up, so it's
not
> "wired up" in xPLHal. I'll have a rummage around and see if
I can get that
> sorted out.

That was at least one problem with getting Cortex going :-) Given that
you can configure (in Cortex) what devices are exposed, I assumed that
a local file (output by Cortex) would be needed to be picked up,
rather than a centrally hosted file ?

I did, after a few battles with xPL apps/hub XP service starting
order, get xPL flowing round, and Cortex is currently doing a great
job at logging them, but not much else. I may have misunderstood
xPLHAL, but it looked scarily like VB in there and I refuse to pollute
my Perlesque programming brain cells :-)

> > I'd also agree that the xPL documentation is not great for
getting
> > started, which is the other reason that I have not done much with
xPL.

> *sigh* It's not easy.
>
> Developers and doc writers are different beasts, I'm afraid, and it's
hard
> to visualise what would help when you are of the "wrong"
mindset.

I have the perfect "beginner's mindset" (as the Idratek guys
would testify).
I just need to begin :-)

> > Before I get flamed ...I'd contribute to the wiki if I could get
far
> > enough to have anything to contribute ! (Actually, I did
contribute a
> > tiny update to the wiki).
>
> No flaming at all - I'm more apologetic that the docs just aren't up
> scratch. Any help in this regards would (naturally) be very welcome.

Just to be clear - I'm not blaming anyone for the docs, so there's no
reason to apologise, more just trying to reassure Chris that he is not
unique in struggling to understand it all.

Cheers,

Dave