RE: XPL - XAP

From: Chris Hunter [mailto:cjhunter@xxxxxxx]
> PS:  To add some simple examples ... the car tells me when it need
> servicing (needs to go to the garage, depending on usuage, needs more
> water in the washer-bottle, needs the tyres pumping-up, without there
> being pressure sensors on the tyres, etc)

I suspect it does a best guess for tyre pressures.

> ... it adjusts under- /
> over-steer when cornering, brakes cleanly without skidding or
deviating
> from the commaned line, checks doors for closure, closes the windows
> when it rains, adjust windscreen wiper speed according to vehicle
speed
> (eg: goes intermittent when stopped for 'lights), manages the cabin
air
> environment ... and so-on ... ie: it's helpful & context-sensitive

I suspect this involves lots of seperate modules all on a shared data bus.
There's probably a few processors that control it all.  Very distributed,
and very robust, I suspect.  Coincidentally, I've been thinking about these
sort of systems quite a lot recently.  I have a company car that's up to
date, and does all this automagically.  I also have a BMW M535i for fun at
weekends that does not.  I was thinking about a data bus with lots of
sensors and actuators that could automate these functions as a retro-fit
for my car.  I don't have the time at the moment to do more than think
about it though.  I'd not considered a xAP/xPL wireless gateway though!

Cheers,
Andy