Re: Connecting lots of hard drives to a mac?!?!

  • Subject: Re: Connecting lots of hard drives to a mac?!?!
  • From: "noel_pilot" <HA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 13:43:37 -0000

I'm jealous....so very very very jealous.

I don't have a clue with mine, it just ...well cocks up!

I was using the onboard sata for two channels and that was unreliable
as anything, think the onboard drivers were a bit pants for sata so
would fail to boot all the time!

so i've bought a sata card from ebay (i know i know!!) but it seems
pretty good, just failed the other day, did a system restore and all
ok now but in general it's just not reliable!

hmmm hadn't really thought linux, maybe I should! just never dabbled
so it's fear of the unknown i guess,

plus the pc is used for other stuff as well, burning discs, ripping
dvd's (that i've bought)....and downloading sometimes but that's it.

if I could find a dvd shrink equivalent on linux that rips to iso
(havent found a good one for the mac yet!) then it'd be a goer!

could i run asterisk on the same box as my file server?!

or should i say could i run my file server on an asterisk@home box?!

thanks all

Noel

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Andy Davies" <dajdavies@...> wrote:

> On 10/04/06, Ian Lowe <ianlowe@...> wrote:
> >
> > > I completely agree, we have 3 24/7 machines in the house,
all
running
> > > XP, and none of them give any trouble....
> >
> > Likewise.
> >
> > It's all about the HCL - Hardware Compatibility List. If you only
use
> > hardware that's been tested with XP, and drivers that have been
signed by
> > Microsoft under the Quality program, then you just don't see
these
issues.

> I've got no idea if the hardward our PC's run is qualified under the
MS