RE: Wireless XBMC

  • Subject: RE: Wireless XBMC
  • From: "Nigel Giddings" <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:18:42 +0100

Mark,

Typical CAT5e is meant for internal use, you can get 'external' CAT5e
but it is more expensive and getting a short length may be an issue. I
think the external provides better mechanical protection as well as
better UV stability.

If you run cable outside remember to use 'drip loops' where the cable
enters the building.

When drilling through a wall always drill on a slight slope, so that the
outside is lower than the inside, reduces water penetration. Avoid the
Damp Proof course as well (Typically 6" above ground level)

And when installing any CAT5e, inside or out, do not kink the wire or
form sharp bends in the cable.

Your house construction will determine the best way to make the hole...

Nigel