Loft Insulation

We've currently got 1/2 an inch of insulation in our loft.

The loft is partially boarded although only chipboard I think.

Does it usually work out cheaper to lay loft insulation yourself? Been
quoted around the =A3220.00 mark.

Given that the joists are relatively low I'm going to have to lay
insulation over the top of the joists (or raise them). Does anyone
know how to raise joists - is it simply a case of securing extra wood
on top of the existing joists or is it going to be a builders job?

Also, in a few years time we may think about converting the loft - if
we get a conversion done would they tear up all the insulation?

Just trying to think what is going to be cheapest and the most
practical solution for the future.

Thanks.