Re: Re: [OT]Solar Power

Yes, and yes.  Grants are largely aimed at windmills and solar water
heaters rather than PV panels, and they lean heavily in favour of old
and inefficient houses.  There is a new government initiative to replace
the old 'clear skies' thing, but their web site goes all round the
houses telling you stuff you already know but completely fails to
mention how much the grant is.  If the web site is anything to go by,
getting the money will be a bit of chore

The panels are not that heavy in themselves, glass with an aluminium
frame usually, but remember that you might need 20 sq meters of them,
and your roof timbers  - especially if they are in a modern developer
house where the costs are cut pretty thin - are designed to support the
weight of the tiles and a bit of snow and not much else.  They don't
have to go on the roof, they can be at ground level or anywhere in
between, but they probably see more daylight and less shadow up on the
roof and are less prone to attack from the odd football.  I'm thinking
of putting mine on a pergola arrangement over the poop deck

Martin