Re: Video server / NAS

  • Subject: Re: Video server / NAS
  • From: David Greaves <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 20:58:08 +0100

But they only have limited internal storage....

2x 5.25" spaces (assumuing you use the drive rails) and 1 has the
CDROM
4x 3.5" spaces (1 has the internal 16oGb SATA)

so only room for 4 more drives - which is fine, but if you're storing a
Tb+ of data and don't use RAID5 then you're nuts ;)

FWIW, I have a 1.2Tb store with 6x 250Gb drives *and* a hot spare (7 disks)
I've used the resilience twice over the last year or so.

David

Paul Gale wrote:

> The £100 Dell servers are VERY quiet :) Mine runs 24/7 in my office
> and I can't hear it. The noisiest bit would be the drives though, so
> careful selection would be a must if going that route.
>
> Paul.

Dell
> PC with
> > a bunch of disks connected to it (3 internal IDE, 2 internal
SATA, and 4
> > external IDE via a firewire box).
> >
> > I've been aware that it's been "on it's way out" for a
long time,
> and have
> > been looking around for a neater solution.  Ideally I'd like to
treat
> > myself to a 1Tb or 1.6Tb Terastation (http://tinyurl.com/4wd7h),
> <http://tinyurl.com/4wd7h%29,> but
> > can't quite bring myself to spend around £600 when I've already
got over
> > 1Tb of disk storage in my current server.
> >
> > So, as I see it, I've got 3 options:
> >
> > 1) Build/buy a new PC, bung all my old drives in it.
> > 2) Buy one of those USB NAS's, which allow USB drives to be
connected to
> > the network.
> > 3) Look for something like the Terastation, but which comes with
no
> > drives, so I can put my own in.
> >
> > I'd rather stay away from building yet another PC.  I know that
> NAS's are
> > basically just PC's with pre-installed software, but I like the
idea
> of a
> > "stand alone" unit connected to the network.  If I did
build a PC, I'd