Latest message you have seen: RE: Recommendations for noise cancelling headphones...

Re: [OT] Cisco phones

  • Subject: Re: [OT] Cisco phones
  • From: "Patrick Lidstone" <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 10:43:47 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Matthew Miles" <m_miles@b...>
wrote:

> Ok, so I got that sorted now... It was my own fault - I didn't
realise
> you could not edit some features until DHCP was disabled!
>
> Just need to figure out how to get it to upgrade the firware now
> (keeps rebooting without upgrading it!)

I had major headaches doing the upgrade for a couple of my phones -
they refused to take new leases from the DHCP server, instead
remembering some legacy settings that were irrelevant to my network.
This was at the application loader stage, so there was no possibility
of changing addresses manually through the UI. I have also seen TFTP
strangeness, with phones refusing to contact the designated TFTP
server after minor network config changes.

In the first case, just plug the phone into the network and leave it
for 24 hours. It will eventually renew the lease by itself.

In the second case, I was able to force connection to the correct TFTP
server by forcing the DHCP server to issue a new IP address that was
bound to the mac address of the phone.

If you haven't done so already, you also want to check what your tftp
server is doing. It may be that files are being served from the wrong
root directory, or are otherwise missing. /var/log/messages or
equivalent should help you get to the bottom of this.

HTH
Patrick