RE: x10, CBUS, and a VIOM - your views?

  • Subject: RE: x10, CBUS, and a VIOM - your views?
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ianlowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 18:04:47 +0100

> Interesting - are there any hardware based xPL stuff around ? ie if
you
wanted to
> talk to xPL to Comfort - I dont want any PC shinnanigans controlling
anything.

There is no production manufactured xPL hardware - we are a hobbyist
project
after all.

There's plenty of great ideas, lots of experimental stuff, people with
ideas
about things that would be really neat (and, of course, a fair share of
stuff that catches fire, blows components and generally makes blue
smoke...)

The solution is always the same - get involved, come up with ideas, see
what
you can add. :)

On the flip side of course... I think you are unfairly knocking the PC
"shinnanigans" - I have been using xPLHal as my home controller
for the last
two to three years, with very few problems - and those due to external
factors (like a CM12 dying etc)

If you run a loaded XP machine with lots of cack installed, then yes..
Reliability can be an issue. When you strip down the OS and get to just the
nuts and bolts of the needed services.. That's a different thing.

Ian.