RE: Re: How many PCs are sold in the UK (and by whom)

  • Subject: RE: Re: How many PCs are sold in the UK (and by whom)
  • From: "michael.furlong" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 23:43:24 +0100

Peter

=20

well I have just had some bad experiences with dell recently, but the
consumer and sme sectors are just the ones where the support isn=92t
availa=
ble
and they also buy from the cheaper ranges maybe this is why I see it as a
problem.

=20

If you repair 16000 Dells a month then you are probably working with Dell
spares and your engineers have in depth experience of Dell machines. Living
and working in rural Ireland I don=92t have the luxury of stocking specific
components for Dell systems or of learning the areas where they are
non-standard. Your comment on knowing a thing or two about them may be why
we have differing views. I don=92t think a trained PC engineer should have
=
be trained specifically to work on Dell PCs vs. any other manufacturer.

=20

I work on everything from the dreaded Packard Bells on up. I walk into a
client, where I probably have never been before, if I see an HP or an IBM I
smile as I know all components will be standard and anything I have in my
boot full of spares will fit and fit easily.

=20

This just isn=92t the case with Dells. Have a read of this=85.
http://www.duxcw.com/dcforum/DCForumID3/436.html

=20

I have been around the plant and I agree with your comments about its
efficiency. My comment about bottom of the curve could have been phrased
better I am not putting Dell in the same class as Tiny etc but I feel a
sid=
by side comparison would show better overall components in a HP vs. a Dell.

=20

Kim

=20

Point taken about the tab you are right there is usually a way but I didn=
=92t
have time to be faffing around looking for it as I have a living to make:-)

=20

And yes the non-standard wiring of the power connector was the issue=85.wtf
would anyone use a non-standard wire up?=20

=20

=20

=20

Mick