Re: Netgear SC101 Storage Central

  • Subject: Re: Netgear SC101 Storage Central
  • From: "Adam Stevens" <adam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 17:20:51 +0100

I've just received delivery of mine, with 2 * 250Gb drives.

I've only played with it briefly, but first impressions are pretty good.
The idea is to use it as storage to stream to my KISS DVD player (via PC
software), so I'll give that a go tonight to check if it's up for the
job.

One thing I think worth mentioning, is that although you require drivers
on the PC to access it (and, incidentally, each drive has it's own IP
address), once the drives are mapped to a PC, it's possible to then
share them on that PC, which allows other PCs without the drivers to
access the drives.  Obviously that's not ideal as it means data is
transferred first to the host PC, and then to the SC101, but it's a good
solution to people who want to access the drives without installing
additional software (I'm going to use that mention on my laptop, as I
rarely use it on my home network anyway).  For PC's permanently on the
network, I'll install the SC101 software.

Installation (both hardware and software) took about 5 minutes.

So from my initial five minute play, it looks good.

Cheers,
Adam.