RE: LCD TV

  • Subject: RE: LCD TV
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 20:35:31 +0100

> > "IMO 720 lines is not high def" would have been correct
> whereas "720
> > lines is not high def" is factually incorrect. SIMPLE!
>

> I agree. However, Gerard did not say that.
>
> In fact, he said:
>
> > Yes (well they do 720p, which isn't really proper HD but that is
> > debate for another time).

It is still a statement and the statement that was made is that 720p
"isn't
really proper HD" - 720p is high definition according to the standards
that
have been agreed.

My reply to Gerards email was simple and to the point - "Yes it is ...
whose
definition of HiDef are you working from?"

If Gerard has information which puts him outside the European Standards
then
I would be pleased for him to share the information with us however the
European standard for high definition broadcasting is what we as end users
will see and for the purposes of that then 720p *REALLY* is high definition
... You could say its definition as high definition is well defined.

> and
>
> > Proper HD is 1080. That is what nearly all the broadcast
> cameras use
> > and that is the format the world should adopt. In reality we will
> > probably end up with 720. Still much better than SD but not
> as good as
> > it could be.

...again this is an opinion expressed as a statement of fact - if Gerard
has
any information pertaining to why 720p isn't a high definition format and
why 1080i is then please present it but the fact remains that as far as we
-
the end consumer - is concerned then the high definition standard
encompasses both 720p and 1080i with the choice of broadcast format being
left up to the provider. Equipment has to be able to receive and display
either format to comply with that standard. The practicalities of this
decision are such that a company such as Euro1080 (who are a broadcaster of
high definition material) have changed their name specifically to reflect
that 1080 is no longer "the" high definition format. and
therefore from that
we can ascertain that if "proper" HD is 1080 then 720 isn't
"proper" HD
(according to Gerard).

Also, please tell me why that is the format that the world should adopt?

With the adoption of *ANY* standard there have to be compromises however
those compromises cannot be simply dismissed by opinions portrayed as fact.

With free speech comes responsibility and with free speech on a public
forum
as this where there are people of differing knowledge bases then it should
be a duty to ensure that the information that is posted up here is correct.

> Neither of which constitute saying "720 lines is not high
def".

I beg to differ - I believe that *BOTH* constitute saying 720 lines is not
high def.

> Back under your bridge Phil...

I don't have a bridge... ;-)

Phil