From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx on behalf of Gerard McGovern
Sent: Mon 03/10/2005 16:09
To: UKHA_D Group
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] LCD TV

> >> Yes it is ... whose definition of HiDef are you working from?
> >
> > Proper HD is 1080.
>
> And you can back that up with what verifiable proof that 1080
> lines marks a significant increase in perceived quality to
> mark it out as "proper" HD whereas 720 lines doesn't? Why is
> 1080 lines "proper" HD? Why not (taking a semi-random
number)
> 1440 lines?

Have you seen a true 1080 feed and compared it to a 720 feed? The 1080
is better in my eyes. As for your pointless statement why not 1440;
because we have a 720 and 1080 standard. If you look back there were
actually 1125 and various other standards too.

> > That is what nearly all the broadcast cameras use and that is the
> > format the world should adopt.
>
> Again, can you show me verifiable proof that the whole world
> should adopt 1080 lines as a hidef standard rather than 720
> (or my example of 1440) or is that just your opinion? Are you
> playing the "bigger number must be better" game?

How about we just stick to 1280 x 768 as the maximum screen size for
computers? There is obviously no need to go any higher. What a pointless
statement.

> A broadcast camera will be designed to work in the highest
> possible format that it would be expected to provide a feed
> for - if at some point it had been decided that a further
> format could be (for example) 1440 lines then you would find
> that broadcast cameras would be being built that could
> provide source at that resolution.

Well if it's film then it can do WAY beyond 1080. Do you actually have
any idea about HD pre and post production or are you purely talking from
a consumer point of view?

> I'm glad you feel that you have the perception to decide what
> the entire planet should adopt (myself I would never be so
> bold as to make such a statement of fact however I have my opinions).

And I'm so glad you have responsed in your usual tone. Honest.

HD is the television format that will be around for at least the next 30
years; if we are stuck on 720 for the next 10 I'm going to be somewhat
miffed.