Re: Hard drives

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 23:53:45 -0000, you wrote:

>Hi Keith.

[SNIP]

>> I seem to remember something about Windows not recognising
>> large drives as
>> well until something or other was done. What ?
>
>I think you are referring to 48-bit LBA addressing prior to which a
maximum of 137GB could be accessed in a single partition. Larger drives
could be used, but would have to partitioned into sub 137GB partitions in
order to all all the available capacity.

No - this won't work.  It is the size of the *total* drive that is
the problem.  Partitioning won't work because a non-48bit driver just
can't address sectors above the 137/128GB mark.

>This limitation went away with XP SP1 I believe....

True.

>> Tha machine I want to build will have a motherboard that is a
>> few years old
>> so I am not sure what maximum size it can support.
>>
>> In the past I have hit limits twice :-(
>>
>> I bought a 13.5Gb drive and the mobo would only see it as 8.4Gb
>> A while later I got a new motherboard and could then use all
>> 13.5Gb Then I
>> bought a 40Gb drive and it refused to boot unless I fitted
>> the 32Gb limit
>> jumper on the drive.
>>
>> I would hate to buy a big drive and find that I couldnt use it
all.

>Unlikely, - even if the m/board was unable to access more than 137GB,
that limitation should be per partition, so splitting the drive into
smaller partitions almost always gets roundthe problem.

Er - no it won't I'm afraid.  Usualy fitting such a drive causes
the BIOS to hang in the equivalent of electronic shock!

Regards,
Harry.