RE: CLI hack problem

  • Subject: RE: CLI hack problem
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 11:59:37 -0000

> I used roughly the same circuit as James Derrick
> (see here http://tinyurl.com/bto9s). However, I
used a different
> opto-isolator (SFH618-A4) from Rapid Electronics (see
> http://tinyurl.com/93l6u).
>
> Everything seems fine but when I receive a call the first part of the
> serial data is picked up in hyperterminal and then, just over half way
> through the caller number, the transmission appears to stop, ie I get
>
> UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUÕ€ 112802042
>                                             01234-5
>
> There are still another 5 digits of the calling number to go plus the
> rest of the data. The same thing appears to happen for every call.

Hi David,

If you are powering the PC side from the serial port using diodes from the
pins shown, try removing that bit of circuit and use a 5-12v power supply
from a wall wart instead.

Assuming the first bit of info you are receiving is correct then the
circuit
is working and my guess is that the power supply from the serial port isnt
sufficient to sustain a workable voltage for the entire duration of the
message.

You say the same happens for every call, does the circuit
"recover" by
itself or do you have to reset anything?

Does the Caller ID unit still keep working OK or does that crash in which
case you could be drawing too much power with the opto isolator.

Regards

Keith