Latest message you have seen: Re: TiVo About to Re-launch in the UK

RE: Home Wiring Advice Sought

  • Subject: RE: Home Wiring Advice Sought
  • From: "Nigel Giddings" <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 16:52:55 -0000

Tony,

First I have to agree with the other posts re CAT5e and CAT6... So much
CAT5e has been installed in buildings that most H/W manufacturers will
bend over backwards to ensure their system works with it, or there will
be a good after market demand for boxes to interface with it, such as
HDMI...

Having said all that I know there will be something that needs a special
cable at some time in the future... I have approached the problem from a
different angle, all my sockets are connected by 2 x 20mm conduits. OK
this is OTT but I hope that 90% of new systems will fit in these
conduits...

I am lucky as the Ground floor has a basement beneath do the conduit
runs down, and the first floor runs up to the loft. All of the conduit
ends can be got to without removing panels or ceilings....

My suggestion, if possible identify a few sockets that could be 'tubed'
and look at having risers or main cable routes that can be got to so
that only limited re-working would be required...

Some photos ?

http://photos.corbenic.co.uk/photos/photo85.html
http://photos.corbenic.co.uk/photos/photo87.html
http://photos.corbenic.co.uk/photos/photo226.html