Latest message you have seen: RE: Recommendations for noise cancelling headphones...

RE: X10 and Ir remote

  • Subject: RE: X10 and Ir remote
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 11:24:06 -0000

Going by the description on the simplyautomate website for their IR7243AH
it
doesn't sound like an all housecode receiver ... "A tabletop
controller
similar to the Mini Controller (MC460) but with the addition of an IR
receiver. The unit allows direct manual control of unit codes 1-4 on the
housecode selected by the dial on top of the controller. Unit codes 5-8 can
be controlled by the operation of a small toggle switch. All unit codes on
the selected housecode can also be operated from an X10 IR remote capable
of
sending the appropriate signals (such as a Philips Pronto)." - this
sounds
like a normal IR7243. The price would also tie in with it being a normal
IR7243 rather than an IR7243AH (which will accept all housecodes and
unitcodes by IR) or an IR7243RF/W (which will receiver RF commands too).

> So, I'm thinking of buying the following from simplyautomate.co.uk
>
> IR7243AH - Infrared Command Centre
> AW10U    - Wall switch
> AM12U    - Appliance module
> LM12U    - Lamp Module
> SS13E    - Stick-a-Switch
> KR22E    - Keychain Remote (433MHz)
>
> Any comments on these parts or the vendor?

Well, since I work for "the UK's premiere online home automation
store" (or
so it says underneath our name on our boxes) then I guess I should give
them
a plug shouldn't I?

> The initial plan
> is to show proof-of-concept by controlling a lamp with a
> Compact Fluorescent bulb (hence the AM12U)

You will probably find that the current leak through the load from an AM12U
(which is used to enable the local control feature) will cause the light
fixture to "flash" even when turned off. You will need to use
something like
an AD10 module in this case.

> a couple of
> incandescent lamps (hence the LM12U) and some outside lights
> (hence the AW10U)
>
> I plan to control everything from the keychain remote, our
> MX-500s via the IR7243AH and the stick-a-switch. My worry is
> RF range as it seems quite limited.  I guess I can add other
> RF receivers around the place?

You don't seem to have an RF receiver listed there - how are you going to
pick up the RF from your SS13 / KR19?

> Or I could try also getting a CM11USB (computer interface)
> and a MS13E (PIR to X10 RF) and see what ActiveHome software is like.

ActiveHome is very basic ... It really gives you little more than a sniff
at
what you can do with home automation.

Phil