Re: [OT] Possible bulk buy on 128 by 64 graphic displays with touch screen

  • Subject: Re: [OT] Possible bulk buy on 128 by 64 graphic displays with touch screen
  • From: ian.bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 11:35:08 -0500

> If you did that, I'd certainly relieve you of a few :-)
That' good news. Does the added hardware cost affect you here?

>> would pretty much hide the embedded code from everyone.
>Yeah, I'd be up for that.
Sounds like a plan then

>I think a plug-in architdecture is exactly right. When finished, it
should be usable as an
>xPL/xAP OSD as well as generating xPL/xAP messages in response to user
actions (so
>messages go both ways). But initially it would work without xPL/xAP
support.
Good

>Would your API support graphics only, or text as well? Or put another
way, does the
>display have built-in fonts that can be mixed with graphics?
At the moment I support graphics as well as text and simple shapes e.g.
circle, oblong, line etc. I could present an API to these I guess. The
text is a little odd and only one font is in there which is 7 by 6 pixels
IIRC. I also support custom characters but there are a bunch of
limitations here (all font stuff actually) including the fact that they
are added at compile time for which you obviously need a compiler. It
would be possible to change the font within the limitations I have now and
for me to compile it and send it to you. As I mentioned somewhere else
programs can be loaded by the end user via serial.

>I've just been looking at the spec for the Mega 64. I don't know how it
compares to the
>various PICs out there, but it certainly looks very capable.
It is a very good chip. I use the Mega128 at the moment and don't even
have a 64 although they are slightly cheaper. In this application we would
not use a lot of the available horsepower from this chip so there is
likely room for future capabilities if the hardware design is correct.

>Now, if only you had a mega 64 simulator and a simulator for the
display,
and connected
>the two of them, I could do the job before even seeing the hardware :-)
Sadly it is not available at a sensible cost. I have to spend the 1200
quid and get all the hardware first. Then I have to design and build the
Mega64 interface board and finally program it. This will take till after
Xmas with work commitments.

What PC programming language do you use? I have been using VB6 for all my
current applications. I can send you a copy of the current version so you
can get an idea of the complexity/oddities involved with this project and
handling the data prior to sending it to this new fangled device.

Thanks

Ian