Re: Re: mp3 Squeezebox or Roku display units

egelbeertje wrote:

>Hi Kevin,
>
>Currently using winamp 2.92 - it's light (running on a p2/300mhz) and
>it has a plugin for a serial IR receiver (with some ir blasters stuck
>to it) so it does what it has to do - shuffle 20000 tracks non-stop :-
>)
>
>I do have 2 or 4 spare wires inside the cat 5 that I used to hookup
>the smartpads.

In which case you 'could' add a Squeezebox wireless or Roku in the room
and feed the audio (either stereo or preferably digital) back to your
amp node for playback using KAT5 or similar which would give you
everything you need. You have two pairs which is enough.   I am not sure
about localised noise from the adjacent pairs , that may be a try it and
see but it may be totally acceptable as it is balanced. (Keith might
comment on this).  Digital would be more immune than analogue I suspect.

>I think I'll settle for 1) only, the next track solution would be a
>nice bonus but I'll be happy with the display only.
>Alternatively a serial VFD display would do the trick as well but
>what do I need then - I'm not to good a writing software.

A serial LCD display could work fine - and the solution can be achieved
in either xPL or xAP.    xPL have a WinAMP conduit and conveniently
Frank has a xAP enabled LCD module so that seems the least work to get
it up and running.  IanB has a long awaited lcd touchscreen with both
xAP and xPL support but I don't think it's yet available....

>Alternatively I've been thinking of hiding an old laptop in a ceiling
>void (with a small touchscreen tft in the wall) and just use it to
>drive the display with a vnc connection to the music server to do the
>trick, I still have the plan to run something like Xlobby but would
>need some better hardware first :-( and more cat 5 in doifferent
>locations.

Yes - both Xlobby and particulalry VNC benefit from powerful machines
... however a couple of things spring to mind here that would allow you
to achieve this on a very low spec  machine or perhaps even a wireless
PPC eg an iPaq - do you have one ?? .    Sorry to be vague but I just
need to check on something first and then I'll post back here .  Could
be ideal for your setup

Kevin