RE: Re: Sony CDs, DRM and Windows Media Center Edition...

  • Subject: RE: Re: Sony CDs, DRM and Windows Media Center Edition...
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ianlowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 17:58:58 -0000

Indeed - given the number of us who run media center PCs, as well as the
general "home media center" concept, this is pretty much a hot
issue, and I
certainly won't be buying anything Sony for a good while.

Sony's behaviour in this matter is thug like, and their refusal to admit to
wrongdoing at all, never mind apologising and corecting their strategy to a
more acceptable form is just so arrogant it's repellant.

Phillips otoh have been absolutely adamant that these crippled discs are
not
CDs, and may not use the CD logo or name.. Cynically, Sony now call these
"ConnecteD Discs" - they show absolutely no respect for someone
else's
IP/Trademarks/Copyright but reserve the right to hack your system to
protect
their own...

When you see how these companies are acting with the limited extent of
control they have with the CD format... Precisely how bad is this going to
get when they have HDCP over HDMI and secure audio path to lock down your
hardware to prevent it from working at all in a configuration they don't
like?

Forget being able to rip movies you have purchsed on DVD to a media center
for convenience - you'll be looking at not being able to have a DVD playing
on two TVs at the same time - no composite video output enabled while
watching "protected" content etc.

It's actually one of the reasons I am not impressed in the slightest with
HD
- until the system is "loosened" up a bit, I'd rather stick with
flexible
use at lesser quality.

I.