RE: Making your own PCBs on the cheap, easily!

  • Subject: RE: Making your own PCBs on the cheap, easily!
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 22:42:20 -0000

Whoa there Mr Lowe !!!!!

> which you then iron
^^^^^^

You are treading on VERY dangerous ground there.

If I were to try that method and be discovered using the Iron I would be
assigned the job of removing wrinkles from the huge basket of ironing that
is waiting to be done :(

I dont mind loading and unloading the Tumble Drier and Washing Machine
(despite the fact that the spin cycle shakes my workbench and makes
soldering a bit dificult!) but I draw the line at Ironing!!

Last week I discovered some rubdown transfers that I used to use for PCB's
and also track tape and pads that I used when I first got my lightbox. They
are about 25 years old now and I very much doubt that I will ever use them
but if I throw them out I will need them instantly!

BTW. NEVER NEVER NEVER try to spray your own photo etch boards. It is
impossible to get a decent finish. Much better to buy the ready coated
ones.

Rapid Electronics have two types of Photoetch, proper FR4 Fibreglass PCB
for
professional use and a cheaper laminate for use in schools etc. The cheaper
one has one disadvantage in that it is totally opaque so you cant hold the
etched board up to the light to see if it is fully etched but on the plus
side, it doesnt blunt drill bits as quickly as fibreglass pcb.

I bought a cheap bubble etch tank from Maplin several years ago and is
dramatically reduced etching time compared to laying flat in a tray. I use
cheap aquarium pump to supply the bubbles.

Regards

Keith