RE: Re: SCART faceplates and cable

  • Subject: RE: Re: SCART faceplates and cable
  • From: "Iain Goodhew" <iain.goodhew@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 20:17:49 -0000

>In article <VA.00001a8f.08f75a04@xxxxxxx>, Ian Oliver wrote:
>> I can maybe just fit the cable used for SCART leads into the
back=20
>> boxes, but this stuff can be iffy quality and separate leads might
be=20
>> better. I need to go about 10 metres.
>
>Has no-one run scart any distances?

I have run a scart cable from my understairs cupboard (node 0) round to
the=
tv, a distance of 10m or less. The cable is cheap-ish stuff which I think =
came from maplins( probably not the cheapish place). I used face plates
eac=
h end from CPC, then a short scart leads to the TV one end and the av amp
t=
he other. I only send s-video down the cable, and did notice a slight
degra=
ding of picture quality when I changed to this setup. The picture is still
=
good quality, but a critical eye can notice a slight softening compared to
=
a short run of s-video. This is most noticeable on text on the screen and
n=
ot so much on normal TV viewing. I only use this setup for lower quality
so=
urces eg cable TV/ Tivo; the DVD (which is under the tv) is sent using RGB
=
direct to the TV via a short scart cable.=20

>Farnell want =A35 a metre for the cable, but even good scart leads
(video=
=20
>in 75-ohm coax, everything else screened) cost less than this for a=20
>metre long one.
>
>But I now find that I need one 15m length and one 20-25metre length...

I have seen long (20-30m) scart cables used on professional installs.
Howev=
er the cable looked VERY expensive and consisted of large individual coax
f=
or RBG & sync plus smaller audio/control cables, but it did give a good
pic=
ture into the plasma.

Iain