Latest message you have seen: AV Receiver with RS232- cheapest ?

Re: Uses for a mini-tx system?

lists@xxxxxxx wrote:

>>xAP and xPL are both very lightweight in terms of cpu requirements
- and
>>as all xAP/xPL apps can reside on any PC on your network you could
host
>>a load of x apps running here eg for CallerID, TV listings,
Weather,
>>Rio/MVP , SliMP3 display etc etc ??
>>

>Good idea, though BOTH are also rather light on documentation to get
>working! ;)

Getting better though slowly..- boring job, worse than gardening or
pulling CAT5 - but we're trying !

>Also, if they are on that pc, don't I need a display hooked up to it so
>can see the output of these various x-apps?

No - not at all - xAP broadcasts all its messages so the 'display' can
be on any PC on your network - that's what makes xAP and xPL so powerful
- every device can see and control every other device eg a Meteor
becomes a network CID device.

>>Are you x'd yet ?
>>

>Not really - I tried using the xAP desktop recently but there seemed to
be
>some problems with it and I abandoned it (again).

It works really well - did you post a question to the xAP list to ask
for any help ? - always happy for any questions on that list - newbies
to nurds all welcome ! Getting newbie posts is a way to get the basic
docs in place too.

>All this stuff, xpl too, sounds wonderful in theory, but getting it
>actually running for those not intimately involved in the project is a
bit
>harder.

I think the difficult thing is getting the concept over. xAP and xPL are
protocols - ie  the 'language' that allows the devices to interact -
they are not really applications although many applications now exist
that implement 'x' protocols to work.  James newly released xAP
Switchboard for example works really well with xAPTel and Outlook to
provide call logging and CID / STD lookup / screen pops. You don't even
realise they communicate via xAP.  You could run these on the ITX and
access your call logs via the web interface that xAP Switchboard
provides or even have remote popups for calls on other clients... or xAP
Desktop - again remote to the ITX - it wouldnt need a screen attached.
The new xAP intranet apps all are accessible via a web interface - so
xAP TV for example just appears as an icon at the top of the xAP
Switchboard screens.

Happy to talk you through this either via help on the xAP Automation
list or via MSN or Skype....   good heavens we even got MarkM up and
running that way. The list is preferred as everyone learns but it has
latency issues.   I know we should do a really 'basic' how to for all
these things. The xPL guys have a few and our docs have improved but its
just so much more fun writing the app than the docs ! xAPTel's docs are
fairly thorough though - download the zip and expand it and have  a read.

Kevin