Latest message you have seen: RE: {Disarmed} RE: Re: Philips Living Colors LED lights - automation?

Re: [OT] the hoster that dare not speak its name

> If your webhoster "disappears" ie your domain name not
resolving (nor
> theirs
> come to that) what do you do.  I haven't been able to get any email
from
> mine since Friday, the site itself isn't there (so no webmail) and the
> hosters site has vanished.  How do I go about chasing my lost domain?

It sounds like time to change provider :/
If you control your own domain registration, just change the nameservers
to point to your new host (obviously, pick a new host first!)

If you do not, and you are listed as the admin contact (search plug your
domain into whois.sc to find all the contact details) then you could try
transferring the domain to another registrar.
If it is not locked, and if you can gain access to the admin contact email
address then you can confirm the transfer and take it away.

If it IS locked then you have a problem.
For UK names, nominet can transfer the TAG for you for about 15 quid.
If it is US based, eg enom, then it is more difficult.
They will normally tell you to contact your provider first.
So you need to tell them that your provider has disappeared and/or refuses
to answer you.
They *may* listen.  If you transfer to another reseller of the same
registrar then they may be more willing to help since the domain
ultimately remains with them - though I am being optimistic here rather
than having any evidence to support this.

hth,

Tony.