Latest message you have seen: Re: Photos of Home Automation

[ADVERT] 300GB home media server.

  • Subject: [ADVERT] 300GB home media server.
  • From: Ian Oliver <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 11:48:33 +0100

I've just ordered a terabyte of SATA drives from Ebuyer so my current
300GB server is up for sale. Boy, did we grow out of that faster than
expected!

It's no speed freak (based on an Intel PII 233MHz processor and mobo)
but it's got 196MB of RAM, so it runs Linux a treat, and it's loaded
with 3x Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 160Gb 7200rpm 8mb Cache ATA133 to give
300GB in a Raid 5 configuration.  (I use raid 1 for the boot partition)
All the drives are in bay coolers and they also have well over two
years of a three year warranty left to run. Warranty confirmation
print-outs from the Maxtor site included.

The drives are connected to a Promise TX2 controller and the machine
also has 100Mbit ethernet and USB.  No CD, but the cable is just behind
a floppy cover to allow one to be quickly connected externally. (All
Debian updates are done over the network)   I have the machine under a
desk operating totally headless and don't ever really need to touch it.

It'll probably be retired in a couple of weeks. I can break it and eBay
the bits, but this seems a shame as it's all running so sweetly. The
drives tend to go for around £60 each, so I'm after £200 for the whole
machine.

I can either wipe the machine or strip off the personal data and leave
Debian Sarge on it. I have all my notes from when I configured it 1st
time around.

Or it will happily run Windows if you're that way inclined. :-)

Ian Oliver
Sunny Leeds, UK
Using Java on Tini for control via Dallas 1-wire