Latest message you have seen: Popcorn hour?

Re: Multiple Access Points

Rowdy wrote:

> Just changed my old alcatel modem for a Netgear DG834GT modem cum
wireless
> router and in doing so was going to decommission my WAP11, but it
seems the
> signal from the Netgear can be a bit flaky so I'm still using the
WAP11
> albeit a slower 11mbps. I currently have the two devices set as
different
> network names and have to switch manually between them if one signal
gets
> weak. Ideally I would like to be able to wander around and get the
best
> signal all the time so in this case I would want my laptop to connect
via
> the strongest signal. Can I do this, do I just set the channel id and
> network name the same on both devices?

Set them to the same SSID and put the same WPA pre shared key in them both.

Set the channels as far apart as possible, if noone near you uses wireless
then
that will be 1 and 13, otherwise work around what the neighbours have
theres on.
Be aware that a WPA network with the SSID hidden isnt going to show unless
you
know the SSID on most cards, so you may not see all the networks nearby.