Latest message you have seen: 19" rack recommendations

RE: Re: Email Appliance - Simple Email for the non 'comp uter literate'

  • Subject: RE: Re: Email Appliance - Simple Email for the non 'comp uter literate'
  • From: "Ward, David" <DAvid.Ward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 16:50:34 +0100

Some info on creating a Firefox Kiosk mode browser
http://tobias.olrato.de/archives/000117.html

I've found a couple of direct to browser LiveCD distros that I'm going to
look at to give me some ideas

Bootbox is based on a Knoppix Live CD
http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/twiki/bin/view/Linux/LinuxKiosk
http://sourceforge.net/projects/boothbox

and
firefox LiveCD
http://ftp.caliu.info/pub/distribucions/distribucions-live-cd/livecd.net/

info on creating a custom LiveCD using Gentoo
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1708294

Ideally I'd modify a LiveCD or flash based distro and setup bookmarks and
possibly even passwords so that it is as easy to use as possible.

Of course it could be based on any OS  but I've played with the hassle of
setting up Windows in kiosk mode on PCs in the past and it was pig of a job
locking everything down, and keeping it working.

For the low spec machine I'm considering I think Linux is the way to go.

Dave