Re: Stress test HA server

John Nye wrote:

> Decided to tidy up my node zero so putting together a rack mounted
server -
> trying to use some bits and pieces from various PC's.
>

> Tried a stress test (Toast) and it freezes after about 20 seconds.
Temp of
> the CPU only rises about 1 degree (to 45C).
>
> Looks like its either the Mobo (Jetway KT333-8233) or the Processor
(Athlon
> XP 2100+) as I've tried swapping Ram.

Tried another power supply?

> But which one is it?
> Or should I bite the bullet and replace both?
> And if I do what should I get? It will be running things like HV, Ace,
and
> has all my video and music using raid5 firewire attached 4x160Gb
drives. Not
> sure whether running raid5 under XP is sensible though as when the PC
> freezes it takes a couple of hours to rebuild the array.
>

> Any advice would be very welcome.

Get a machine that doesn't freeze all the time and the raid rebuild is a
non-issue.

I have a supermicro p4sct board
(http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/P4/875/P4SCT.cfm)
- was the
cheapest I could find with decently fast PCI on it, and it has uptimes of
months, it has only ever hung when I was trying to get a promise raid card
working at the same time as a marvell based one and the drivers kept
trampling
over the top of each other.