Latest message you have seen: RE: Re: Modular alarm recommendations

RE: Web server DNS name

  • Subject: RE: Web server DNS name
  • From: "Andy Laurence" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:34:14 -0000

Paul Gale <mailto:groups@xxxxxxx> scribbled on 23
March 2005
08:09:
> I asked this a few weeks ago but didn't get it resolved. This
> is what I want to do and need some ideas/help:
>
> I have a xAP application running on my W2K3 server. It has a
> web interface service running on port 52340. I also have IIS
> v6 running on the server (domain controller that also runs
> most other services inc DNS) and serve up local web pages for
> HA use and Exchange.
>
> What I want to do is type 'telephone' into IE's address bar
> and have it load the correct page. At the moment I have to
> type 192.168.0.2:52340 or servername.domain:52340.
>
> I think I need to add a DNS entry and use host headers on IIS
> maybe??? I don't understand the host headers bit though.
>
> Help would be great thanks!

You need to add a host in your DNS config for "telephone" to
point to
your web server.  You then need to create a new website in IIS that
responds to the "telephone" host header.  Configure this to
redirect to
the correct website.  You've not mentioned what the website is running
on, or whether the port is easily reconfigured, so this may be easier
still.

Cheers,
Andy
--