Latest message you have seen: Re: Modular alarm recommendations

RE: Web server DNS name

  • Subject: RE: Web server DNS name
  • From: "Paul Gale" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:59:22 -0000

Thanks Glenn :)

Someone else just emailed me pretty much the same thing - thanks to you
both :)

The trouble I was having is that I'm missing the DNS suffix - can I add
this to the properties assigned by DHCP (DHCP server running on the W2K3
server)? How do I do this?

Thanks,

Paul.

"telephone" and
> give it your servers IP.
>
> In the IIS manager, create a new web site.  In the properties for the
> new site, on the "Web Site" tab, click advanced.  Select the
"Default"
> ip address, click edit, and add "telephone.domain.com" into
the host
> header.
> Click "Add" and set the IP address to default, the port to
80, and the
> host header to "Telephone"
>
> Then, on the "Home Directory" tab, change it to
"Content for this
> resource should come from a redirection to a URL" and enter
> http://192.168.0.2:52340 as
the URL.

> Apply the changes, and restart the web site.
>
> Make sure that domain.com is listed as the DNS Suffix on every
computer
> in the domain.
>
> Voila!  Typing "telephone" in the IE address bar will cause
your PC to
> make a DNS query with the DNS suffix appended.  This query will return
> the IP of your server, which will be contacted on port 80 with a host
> header of either "telephone" or
"telephone.domain.com"