RE: Fw: Web server DNS name

  • Subject: RE: Fw: Web server DNS name
  • From: "Paul Gale" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:06:35 -0000

Thanks,

I'm having problems getting a simple CNAME record to work. Hostnames
approach won't work (I think?) as the xAP application uses it's own web
server, not IIS's.

DNS is setup as follows:
My server name - myserver.mysubdomain.mydomain.com Local IP = 192.168.0.2
I have a public DNS entry (in the form of mysubdomain.mydomain.com) and IP
that points to my router which then forwards port 80 traffic to that
server.

My local DNS server has the correct A records which point to the local IP
addresses and has the SOA and NS as myserver.mysubdomain.mydomain.com

I added a CNAME of 'telephone' for both the FQDN
(myserver.mysubdomain.mydomain.com)and also tried IP address instead but
can't ping or get to it in IE within my local network (ping can't find the
host).

Could it be my ADSL router getting in the way? The router is set as the
default gateway on the client PC and the DNS servers are my local DNS
server first and then two ISP DNS servers.

Any ideas?

Paul.