Latest message you have seen: Re: Solar PV Monitoring

Re: Web server DNS name

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:09:23 -0000, Paul Gale <groups@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> What I want to do is type 'telephone' into IE's address bar and have
it load the correct page. At the moment I have to type 192.168.0.2:52340 or
servername.domain:52340.

> I think I need to add a DNS entry and use host headers on IIS maybe???
I don't understand the host headers bit though.

You can't do this through DNS alone; browsers assume port 80 for HTTP,
and there's no way of representing an alternative in DNS (well, not
'normal' DNS anyway).

Previous suggestions of a reverse-proxy, shortcut, etc are all valid
and should work fine though.

--
phil