RE: Linux and firewire drives...

  • Subject: RE: Linux and firewire drives...
  • From: "K. C. Li" <li@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:58:56 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Ian wrote:

> robust server you can get your hands on, and had reached a degree of
> maturity and stability that any windows coming later can only dream
of...
> but the lack of ongoing patching makes it a complete zero-option for a
> commercial client.

I agree entirely. It is a shame that NT4 is being phased out. I am
involved in a project where 10,000+ PCs have to be upgraded from NT4 to XP
simply because NT is going out of support. A lot of the hardware also need
to be upgraded or replaced as well.

> The reason being that the newer virii simply don't run on NT4 - they
depend
> on loopholes and exploits that don't exist. I wouldn't dream of
running an

That makes sense.

> NT4 box without a firewall between it and the net, however.

Sure. However, some vulnerabilities couldn't be protected by a firewall.

> I think NT4 is basically a great alternative to a NAS box - if you
don't
> expect it to do anything too fancy, and just run, then run it will -
on and
> on and on... Mine runs some xPL stuff, Azureus, VNC server, and that's
all -
> and it hasn't crashed yet.

I remember back in my programmer days, NT was known as a heavy duty OS and
it simply didn't crash.

> Ach not at all - I was probably fishing for a good slap anyway ;)

No, not at all. This is simply an interesting debate.

Regards,

Kwong Li
li@xxxxxxx
Laser Business Systems Ltd.