RE: Linux and firewire drives...

Uh-huh.

So, basically, you expended a stack of effort, but because what you were
doing was ever so slightly unusual, it just point blank didn't work.

Frustrated, you spoke to every Linux expert you could get, and despite the
calls of "you should use Linux" whenever you admit to using
windows, there
was a large amount of head scratching until eventually, after *ridiculous*
amounts of time was spent, Someone cracks the ludicrously arcane commands
or
combination of modules to compile in order to make it behave... It works.

Kinda.

The wonder now being, just how stable is it - are you now in the situation
that you can't update anything for fear of borking it again?

Hey - that's the linux experience all right! :D

It's a real pity that NT4 doesn't support firewire - I went back to NT4 for
my media server, and have been pleased as punch since - lightning fast
compared to later MS OS'es and starts in less than 10 seconds, and not a
kernel recompile in sight ;)

Ian.