Latest message you have seen: Video Tour of Brilliant Living's HQ

Re: Re: LD11 - Can it be altered to operate using 12v dc or 24v dc

I hear what you say (practising my corporate speak ;-)) but tbh the price
of the relays will be small. I don't have my price lists here but you
should be able to get the relays for a quid or so each.

The next challenge is to mount them safely. As it happens my central
heating switch thingy does just what you want. I take a 12 volt signal
which switches a relay which in turn carries mains voltages. Whilst I would
not recommend you to use the exact design the addition of an opto isolator
(no mains down the Cat5 cable) would not be a big deal. You can even get
professional printed circuit boards made for around 30 quid for 4
(depending on size you may get more).

So, relay and socket, opto isolator and socket, some connectors for the
various wires and a box to put it/them in. You should be able to see that
for a reasonable cost. Taking a worst case of around a tenner each then 10
circuits would only be a hundred quid + some time and effort.

If you are interested then I would be happy to help with the PCB as not
everyone has the software (or inclination) for that. Having said that
www.olimex.com/pcb will accept files direct from Eagle
http://www.cadsoft.de/ who do a
shareware version of their tool. Just the
time to learn it ;-(

This would be a nice safe integrated solution where any failed components
could be replaced very easily.

Ian

"big_red_748"
<john.macnamara@globalcr        To:       ukha_d@xxxxxxx
ossing.com>                     cc:       (bcc: Ian Bird/CV/Novartis)
Subject:  [ukha_d] Re: LD11 - Can it be altered to operate using 12v dc or
24v dc
09/03/2005 02:27
Please respond to ukha_d

Thanks Frank,

The only problem is that buying a relay for every lighting circuit
will add a fair whack to the cost.

I want to keep the cost down as I am sure we all do.

Cheers,

John

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Frank Mc Alinden" <fmcalind@b...>