re Automated irrigation 101

Keith,

This is where I started http://www.mollyology.com/MyHouseIrrigation.php
lots
of ideas here.

For my 1st zone I used a washing machine valve, 240v watch what your doing,
usual disclaimer. This is controlled by Homeseer thru a spare output on a
VIOM that was installed for my central heating. The water is delivered
using
Hozelock micro irrigation pipe and outlets. This was my Developement zone.
In its first summer it was manual control, Forgot to switch it off once,
oops, big flood down the village. Then I used a X10 appliance module for a
season. Never trusted it, had multiple "OFFs", Watched nearly
every
operation, never failed once!!!  Zones 2&3 where copies of this.

I'm not sure what the duty time of these valves is, so I am unwilling to
use
any for the longer cycles I require for running soaker hoses. Also I am
running out of "spare" outputs on my VIOM.

I had been developing thoughts on how to expand the system. Ain't gonna pay
£60 ish for single channel propriety controller.
(need at least 4 more zones). On a trip to Florida I stopped by an Home
Depot store. Every thing you need in one isle. I got
a six channel rainbird controller and six Toro valves for about $110 (sixty
quid!) and a bo*****ing of swimbo for not getting  2 sets, bother. Rainbird
is 24v but included a 110v wallwart I got some electrical fittings so that
could use a 110v site transformer if need be. However I found I already
have
a 240v - 24v transformer on some xmas lights so, as I don't irrigate my
Xmas
trees, job sorted. Also I was buying the "NEW" rainbird
controller so I got
a free rain sensor worth $24.

I am looking forward to Easter so that I can play, I mean, install this
lot.

Setting up the drippers is a faf until you get the hang of it, took me
about
a week to get zone 1 to my satisfaction and five minutes for zones 2&3.
Set
up costs can be kept low if you try and the time invested is more than
repaid, also its quite fun and impresses the visitors.

Hope this dribble (pun intended) helps a bit.

Andy W