Re: Automated irrigation 101

  • Subject: Re: Automated irrigation 101
  • From: "David Buckley" <db@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 02:48:21 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Keith Finnett" <keith@f...> wrote:

Start here: http://www.homeirrigation.com.au

Download the design software.

Buy the most expensive irrigation controller you can find.  It is
cheaper than rolling your own!

If you must DIY your control elements, plan for your control system to
fail and have a mechanism to stop the flood.

My system (3 zones plus a pond filler hanging off a zone, but more
planned) is partly automated.  That is, I've got the solenoid valves
installed, but they are not connected to anything.  So I operate the
manual override valves...  Partly automated :-)  I've got the Netioms
and relay boards, but am waiting on the xAP upgrade.  The Netioms have
enough smarts to be the override controllers if something goes wrong
to the xAP mothership, and prevent infinite irrigation.

Perhaps I should just buy a RainBird, and cut my losses...