Re: (OT) Cost to repair/replace server room air conditioning system...?

Hi Richard,

Just talked to my boss...

Apparently the guys couldn't determine the kW of the existing unit but
they "estimated" it to be 4kW. We think their quote (=A31700) is
for a
5kW unit.

Many thanks,
Andy.

On 6/27/05, Richard Challis <richard@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Andy,
>=20
> Is the compressor making any nasty sounds?
>=20
> If the unit isn't working very well - You haven't put any new toys in
the
> server room? (sorry if that is really obvious!)
>=20
> I would suspect that the unit could be low on gas "charge"
but without
> putting gauges on it to check would be difficult to diagnose via email
:)
>=20
> If the unit is genuinely 15 years old, then you have had very good
servic=
> for a unit that would be on 24/7
>=20
> Do you have a backup unit, if this is for a server room and you don't
hav=
e a
> backup. I would suggest that you look at a 2nd one anyhow if it's
worth i=
t?
> What would be the result of your A/C system going down and your
servers
> cooking......
>=20
> Did they measure the charge? You didn't happen to make a note of this,
th=
> red hose side and the blue hose side values. What gas is your A/C unit
-
> look for an R number. ie R22 or something. If you look for BTU or Kw
rati=
ng
> on the A/C unit I can give you a rough idea / suggest a guide price
for a
> compressor or a whole new unit. Where roughly is this located?
>=20
> small A/C systems isn't my usual area, I write software for Ammonia
> compressors that chill coldstores part time.
>=20
> The rest of the time I look after a factory industrial control system,
in=
> some servers in two computer rooms (one set of servers on one room
back u=
> the servers in the 2nd room!) (yes we have backup A/C as well!
<g>)
>=20
> Regards
>=20
> Richard
>=20
conditionin=
> system...?
>=20
>=20
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Figure someone on here must know something about this and can
give an
> > honest answer ;o)
> > The air conditioning unit (IMI "Impact") in our server
room isn't
> > working terribly well.
> >
> > We called some guys out to repair it and they said that the
compressor
> > "had gone".
> > Claimed that the unit was 15+ years old and it would be cheaper
> > just replace it (isn't that always the way!).
> >
> > Can anyone confirm whether this is the case or whether we should
> > persue having it repaired?
> >
> > Many thanks,
> > Andy.
> >

> > Yahoo! Groups Links