Re: Smelly UPS

APC UPSs do eventually wear out their batteries.  According to APC=20
it should be 3 to 5 years.  In my experience it's more likely to be=20
nearer the 3 years than the 5 years!
But what you've got is something different from normal wear!
You've just had battery thermal runaway!
The batteries have got hot for some reason (see below).
When batteries get hot their resistance lowers, so they take more=20
current.  When they take more current, they got hotter.  So the=20
start of a vicious circle.=20=20
Once this thermal runaway cycle starts, batteries can be ruined in=20
hours.  Even if they were good batteries before.
The batteries can become far too hot to handle.  Give off hydrogen=20
gas, leak acid and will swell up dramatically!!
You'll probably find it very difficult to remove them.  Feel free to=20
ask me for removal instructions.

Reasons for them getting hot in the first place are....
possibly direct sunlight?=20=20
room temp has been very high?=20=20
next to a heat source E.G.. server?=20=20
battery charge voltage is too high?=20=20
defective batteries?

I can supply batteries (collection only for small orders)
And, of course, UPSs.=20=20
I've just done a deal with Richard Boreham (from UKHA) for 3=20
Powerware true online double conversion UPSs (1000va) for =A3150 cash=20
(for all 3, not each).
True online are superior to line interactive (APC Smart UPSs).
Ask for details.
Regards
Andy

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Martyn Wendon"
<mailing.lists@a...>=20
wrote:
> After the recent hot weather I noticed this morning that one of my=20
UPS's=20
> (APC SmartUPS 1000) has started to smell of rotten eggs and was=20
hot to the=20
> touch (couldn't touch it for more than 5 seconds).  I've switched=20
it off and=20
> swapped it out with a temporary replacement while I suss out=20
what's wrong=20
> with it.
>=20
> Load wise it only ever runs at about 25% and is connected to three=20
small=20
> sized servers.  It's been fine for years other than replacement=20
batteries=20
> every 2 years or so.
>=20
> Is it likely to be fubar? I've not opened it up yet as it's still=20
pretty=20
> warm (have put it outside to cool down).  Could it be just the=20
batteries?=20
> They're only about a year old and in past experience I've not had=20
anything=20
> like this before to indicate the batteries are knackered.  Usually=20
I just=20