Re: Air Con - WAS: RE: Fw: It's that time of year again...

  • Subject: Re: Air Con - WAS: RE: Fw: It's that time of year again...
  • From: "big_red_frog" <atod@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 12:47:37 -0000

Hi,

We are working in a listed building and our server room becomes
unbearable.

We have pretty heavy weight portable two part units, the outside fan
unit is hung out the window on a strap and pulled in at night, so no
permanent fixtures to worry about.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Hawes,Timothy Edward \(GEG\)"
<haweste@a...> wrote:
> This exact question came up recently on the UK_Selfbuild list.
FWIW, I
> think it's a really *bad* idea, and you still may need
planning/listed
> building consent if you do still go ahead. You should check with the
> planning office to be sure.
> Anyway, here's the UK_Selfbuild Q&A.
>
> HTH,
>
> Tim.
>
> 66
> Question:
> > I'm contemplating installing an air conditioner in our bedroom,
the
> > question is - is there any reson why the 'outdoor' part of the
system
> > cannot be installed in the loft? The loft is well ventilated and
well
> > insulated from the rest of the house.
>
> Answer:
> 'Well ventilated' is not the same as having free air flow.
> The outdoor unit will be putting out at least 2kW (for a 1.5kW
indoor).
> That'll heat up the attic considerably.  The hotter the attic gets,
the
> less cooling the indoor unit can do.  Then there's a maximum
temperature
> the outdoor unit can work at.  Also, the hotter the outdoor unit
> environment, the shorter its life.
> 99

out
the
> > > wall. Unless there is another option ?
> >

> > Put the "outdoor" unit in the loft, beef up the top
floor