RE: Want Caller ID on your Slim player - and call history ??

  • Subject: RE: Want Caller ID on your Slim player - and call history ??
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 20:56:20 +0100

Nah - in commercial terms it seems I live in the arse end of nowhere as NTL
won't pay for the firmware upgrades for the telco switches in my area
(according to my mole at NTL). It seems they're as they were when NTL took
over the area from Cable And Wireless.

The only way I can get caller ID is to move to BT but we're at the fringes
for high speed ADSL and I've been told I can only expect 1meg at best (I
get
a good solid 3 meg by cable). Add to that that the previous owner of the
house had Home Highway in and BT want to charge me a couple of hundred quid
to revert my line back to an analogue line and you can see that I'm not too
keen on changing.

> one thing you could do is use Skype and get a
> SkypeIN number - you can even choose your location eg London,
> Manchester,  New York, France, Poland, HongKong, even
> Beverley Hills - for that extra posh occasion.  Also makes
> you appear to be somewhere you're not which has a multitude
> of applications ;-) When you are called on that number then
> Skype does present the incoming CID ..  if you have a Skype
> OUT account to it will present it to the destination.  Works
> quite well but very slight delay sometimes.  The Olympia
> Skype cordless phone makes it quite family friendly.
> Interestingly when dialling OUT via Skype it does present
> very accurate call progress events eg 'ringing' 'answered'
> etc.... I assume because of the billing requirements.

I have a Cisco IP phone sitting here supporting a thick layer of dust ...

Phil