Re: Sonos :-o

  • Subject: Re: Sonos :-o
  • From: "keyvan2r" <keyvan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:52:35 -0000

I am really keen on getting Sonos since I saw it appear on the net
about 18 months ago (I think I posted a news item to the UKHA website).
The remote alone sets it apart from any other HD based solution.
As I mentioned in a previous post yesterday, the 30K limit is not such
a big issue. Even the fact all my collection (8,400 tracks - 630 CD)
have all been ripped from CD to lossles .ape (using EAC and Monkey's
encoder) so I might have to do some mass transcoding to a Sonos
friendly format.
The deal-breaker for me is the limit of 3000 to 5000 for the total
number of tracks in all playlists COMBINED. If this is marketed as a
whole house / whole family system, then having a limit of say 20
playlists of 200 songs each is really poor. They say you can squeeze in
more lists by renaming tracks using fewer characters. This won't affect
the track display as those are taken from the tags, but it's still
poor, not to mention painful for a few thousand files. Playlists, IMO,
are one of the best features of a digital music system.

Mark, is there any way you check this out?

Look forward to your review.

Keyvan