Re: HDD Failure - What to do?

  • Subject: Re: HDD Failure - What to do?
  • From: "jonsemailstuff" <jonsemailstuff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 08:06:41 -0000

Tim,

I assume you are using windows. I had a disk that was completely
unreadable under windows, but I managed to rescue the contents under
linux. If you don't have linux installed, try a bootable CD such as
knoppix - you just download the iso image, burn it to CD and boot your
computer. I think I'd also be tempted to connect it directly to your
IDE bus rather than using a USB adaptor.

You should be able to copy most of your stuff onto the hard disk
already on your machine.

I've not heard the freezer trick before, but I don't think it would be
a good idea as you are likely to get condensation indside the drive
(they are not hermetically sealed as some people believe).

Hope this helps,
Jon

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Hawes,Timothy Edward \(GEG\)"