RE: [OT] DNS issues when changing hosting provider

  • Subject: RE: [OT] DNS issues when changing hosting provider
  • From: "Tony Butler" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 17:24:13 +0100

> Have I done something wrong?

Yes.  First of all, you have not contacted your new provider about this :)

Secondly, the problem is that both your old and your new provider use the
same backup mail/name service and your domain can only appear at the backup
service once.
Since it is still in the system for your old provider, it cannot be added
for the new one.....

What is happening is that sometimes requests are served by your new ns1
nameserver, which correctly points you at the new server.
The other half of the time, your requests are served by ns10 which points
the backup mail/name service....and as far as THAT is concerned, you are
still with your old provider so you get directed there.

> Do I need to get my old hoster
> to stop responding to requests sent to my domain? Or is it
> simply a case of waiting until it sorts itself out?

A short term measure would be to change ns10 to ns2, which is with your new
provider.
Then you need to inform your old host that you no longer need their
services
and can they please remove your domain from their records, including the
ones at the backup provider.

Once this has been done, you can again safely add ns10 (or replace ns2 with
ns1- if you are only allowed two nameservers) and inform your new host so
they can add your domain back into the backup mail/nameservers.

HTH ;)

Cheers,

T.