Latest message you have seen: R80 CFL's?

Re: New DVR drops jaws in London

On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 11:37 +0100, James Fidell wrote:

> Not sure what the fascination would be with recording the entire
output
> of dozens of channels of utter drivel, mind :)

I suspect a trawl through the UKHA archives to find the "did anyone
record?" posts would find a ready market for such a device.

As for cost, well, Moore's law still seems to be holding good, and hard
disk prices have dropped by a factor of about 3,000 over the last 11
years. (In 1994, the rule of thumb was =C2=A31 / Mb, now the rule of thumb
=
is
=C2=A31 / 3Gb.)

Assuming the trend holds, by 2015, the pricing would therefore be about
=C2=A31 / 10Tb...

... at which point Phil will have an application for a 20 Petabyte
array :-)

As a serious point, one of the biggest problems facing high-end
datacentres at the moment is heat generation. Where we used to have a
single server in a 2U rack, we now have blade servers, which have
densified the heat generation by a factor of about 10 over the last 5
years. Looks like that aircon may need uprating soon.

M.